Types of Care
Medically eligible children are admitted to George Mark for four types of stays: respite care, transitional care, pain and symptom management and end-of-life care.
- Respite Care: We support families in taking periodic breaks from the non-stop physical and emotional responsibility of home care. Parents can rest in our house with their child, or take a much-needed vacation. Bring the medications and equipment you use at home, so our nursing staff can simulate your home routine.
- Transitional Care: We provide care between hospital and home with the goal of supporting families as they assume the role of caring for their child. Our transitional care services reinforce family education, build confidence in managing care at home, result in shorter hospital stays and ultimately reduce the need for emergency room visits and frequent hospitalizations.
- Pain and Symptom Management: Although pain and symptom management is a primary focus for all children at George Mark, occasionally a child may need to be admitted directly from home with the support of our ‘round-the-clock nursing staff to troubleshoot pain or other distressing symptoms. Our expert nurses can also help manage and investigate the effectiveness of interventions under constant medical supervision, in a setting that replicates the home routine.
- End-of-life Care: For children nearing the end of their lives, our program provides the resources and support that families need to treasure each moment together, and to experience the joy in living each moment to the fullest. At George Mark, families and friends can be together at this important time without restriction: even pets can come and stay. We honor and respect each family’s cultural traditions and care choices, and offer ongoing bereavement support to families as long as they desire.
- George Mark does not require a Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) or Allow Natural Death (AND) order for admission.
- Families must bring all of their child’s care supplies, equipment and medications for their stay at George Mark. We do not have an on-site pharmacy.